The only way to get big triceps is much like developing any other muscle group. That is, progressively overloading through a variety of angles, of which the given joint and its muscles are capable.
Before we move on to the actual workout to help you get big triceps, let's first briefly analyze the anatomy of the triceps musculature.
The name "Triceps" comes from "Tri" meaning "3" and "ceps" meaning "heads".
That is to say that the tricep is a 3-headed muscle.
It is made up of the lateral head, long head and medial head.
Functionally, the tricep acts as an elbow extensor. 1https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6136322/
A lesser known fact is that the long head is attached to the scapula, helping stabilize the shoulder joint.
Workout for big triceps
When training arms, many people give too much attention to biceps exercises, without realizing that the triceps make up two THIRDS of the arm.
So if you're looking to step up your arm size game up, do make sure to try this triceps workout.
It was designed by "The Godfather of Bodybuilding - Charles Glass" and aims to optimize activation and overload.
Let's start right off.
Exercise #1 - Triceps pressdown
Rest times: ~60 seconds between sets
This is one of the best known exercises for the triceps but a common mistake is letting the wrist bend at the bottom.
In doing so, you take away a TON of activation in the triceps and hence, hinder your result.
What Charles glass taught me for this specific exercise, is emphasizing on keeping the wrists locked at the bottom.
- 1Place a bent bar on the upper pulley
- 2Stand in front of it and grab it at shoulder width
- 3Take a step back, place one foot in front for balance
- 4Bend over slightly and keep torso straight
- 5Keep arms close to your torso
- 6Push down
- 7At the bottom, straighten the wrists and contract the triceps
- 8Hold peak flexion briefly and go back up slowly on the negative
Exercise #2 - Triceps ez-bar press
Rest times: 90 seconds
Now that you have successfully activated and warmed up the triceps with the first cable movement, you can move on to the heavier lifts.
The overhead EZ-Bar press is one of the best exercises to load on, when the task at hand is to get bigger triceps.
However, this exercise too is commonly done wrong.
The upper arm must be at a 90-degree angle and you should pretty much press up and slightly back.
Furthermore, you can use a preacher curl machine to rest your back on and make this movement easier.
- 1Grab a pre-loaded EZ-Bar more narrow than shoulder width
- 2Rest your back on the pad of the preacher curl machine
- 3Keep torso slightly arched back
- 4Lift the EZ-Bar over your head
- 5Let the bar go down and behind your head
- 6Keep the elbows relatively close to the head without flaring too much
- 7Push up and slightly back
- 8Contract the triceps up top
Exercise #3 - Overhead rope tricep extension
Rest times: 60 seconds
The third and final exercise is again, a cable movement, designed for optimal triceps activation.
If you've never done this one, prepare for massive pumps.
An important part of this exercise is rolling the wrists at the bottom of the movement, to increase activation in the triceps.
- 1Attach a rope to the upper pulley
- 2Grab the rope with an overhand grip
- 3While holding the rope, turn back and take a step forward- At this point the
- 4Bend over and keep your torso straight
- 5Keeping the elbows relatively close to the torso, push the rope forward
- 6At the bottom of the movement pronate your wrists
- 7Hold peak flexion briefly and go back down slowly
What's Next? Check These Out
21 Tricep exercises
20 bicep peak exercises
The individual factor
Though this workout to get big triceps is as good as it gets, you should always consider individual factors that will play a role in how you perform and progress.
Based on those individual factors, we have created our Superhuman QUIZ, which will help you get insight on your current level of development and how to continue your journey.
I’m Troy and I’m the creator of SuperHuman You and Co-Founder of Alpha Lion.
I created SuperHuman You to give you access to the most cutting edge information so you can reach your body goals as fast as humanly possible.
I’ve been obsessed with training since 2005 when I attended IMG Academy and got to train alongside NBA, NFL and Olympic Gold Medal winning athletes.
Now I’m on a mission to transform as many lives as possible and I’m so excited you found us!
I’ve been fortunate enough to train alongside and pick the brain of some of the best pro athletes, bodybuilders and trainers in the world – and this site represents over 15+ years of insights from the world’s best.
Want more gains? Here are a few suggested actions:
Head over to the world’s largest exercise database for a wide variety of unique exercises for every muscle group
Visit our Youtube Channel where you can watch Balloon Method™ workouts for Every Muscle Group.
Check out Alpha Lion so you can learn more about 1 of the fastest growing fitness lifestyle companies in the world and stack up on the best science-backed supplements.
References [ + ]