Everyone, at one point, wants to get bigger biceps, but no one seems to actually know HOW.
The Long Arm syndrome
If you are tall, you probably know how hard it is to fill out long arms/legs.
It appears that for us tall guys, 5 lbs of solid muscle look like nothing.
I myself have an Ape Index of 6+ Inches.
Ape Index is the ratio of an individual's arm span relative to their height.
And so, you can imagine how tough it is for a 6'1 guy to fill out his 6'7 arm span.
For the longest time, my arms were stalling at 15 inches. In the recent years however, I got them up to 18 inches. I owe all of my arm gains to these 5 intensity techniques.
5 intense bicep techniques
As you should know by now, the bicep is a two-headed muscle, that is made up of a long head and a short head.
The long head is located on the outside of the arm and accounts for that "peaky" look of the biceps.
The short head is located on the inside of the arm and gives the arm a thicker look.
looking to build your dream physique?
Take the 60-second SuperHuman Quiz to learn what the perfect plan of attack is to get your dream body in 12 weeks!
#1 Hulk sets - Increase intensity and volume
Seated barbell curls
Reps: 3 : 3 : 3 : 3
Rest: 20 second intraset
Hulk sets, also known as "Cluster sets", is a technique that allows you to increase volume by strategically implementing intra-set rest periods.
One of the best exercise choices to apply with this technique, are the seated barbell curls.
Essentially, you have to go with a heavy weight and go for 4 heavy sets of 3 repetitions with 20 seconds of rest in-between each set.
- 1Load a heavy barbell and grab it with an underhand, shoulder-width grip
- 2Sit down on the side of a bench and rest the barbell on your legs
- 3Keep torso straight, look forward and curl the bar up, without moving the elbows forward
- 4Contract the biceps at the top and go back down slowly
- 5After doing 3 heavy reps, rest 20 seconds and do another set and repeat until you get 4 sets of 3 heavy reps
#2 Jet reps - Optimize metabolic stress
DB Hammer Curls
Reps: 45 seconds time under tension
Rest: 60 seconds between sets
Mechanical tension is a key component to growth - You can't let inertia take over and expect the muscle to grow.
With Jet Reps, we perform an exercise with a faster pace, without taking the tension off of the muscle.
The hammer curls are PERFECT for this technique, as there is no change in wrist rotation and we can do it QUICK!
- 1Grab a pair of dumbbells and keep them by your sides
- 2Place feet at shoulder width for a stable position
- 3Keep torso straight and hammer the left dumbbell up, contracting the upper arm
- 4As you let the dumbbell go down, hammer the right dumbbell up, contracting the arm
- 5Repeat the motion pattern with a fast pace for a full 45 seconds
#3 slow-mo eccentric - Optimize muscle damage
db incline curls
Rest: 60 seconds between sets
With the slow-mo eccentric technique, we will grant more and healthier micro tears of the biceps.
You don't need to use extremely heavy weights here, as the goal is to maintain as much mechanical tension as possible, on both the eccentric and concentric parts of this exercise.
Slow and controlled on the squeeze, even slower on the way down.
- 1Set up an incline bench to a bit more than 45-degrees
- 2Grab a pair of dumbbells and sit down on the bench
- 3Rest your back and keep the arms by your sides
- 4Open the hands out, so that the palms are facing forward
- 5Curl both dumbbells up simultaneously, in a slow pace
- 6Contract the biceps up top and hold the peak flexion briefly
- 7Go back down slowly, maintaining tension
- 8Repeat the movement pattern
#4 Mirror rep dropset - Increase volume and intensity
DB Alternate Curls
Drop sets: 2
Weight decrease: 30%
Rest: 60 seconds between sets
The mirror rep drop set implies reducing the weight by about 1/3 and doing the same number of reps, without rest (Hence, the mirror rep dropset name).
Using alternating dumbbell curls is one of the best and most classic exercises to dropset on.
- 1Grab a pair of fairly heavy dumbbells
- 2Stand up straight with feet at shoulder width
- 3Keep the arms by your sides
- 4Maintain a straight torso and look forward
- 5Curl the left dumbbell up, supinating the wrist
- 6Contract the biceps up top
- 7Maintain peak flexion briefly
- 8Go back down slowly, maintaining tension
- 9Curl the opposite arm, completing the same motion pattern
- 10Go back down again and alternate between arms
#5 Heavy with a twist - optimize form
This last one is more of a form tip, that will optimize the biceps activation from a biomechanical standpoint.
You can try it at home - Keep your arms close to the body and curl the arm at the elbow, while also twisting the pinky out.
IMMENSE biceps activation can be felt.
And that is no wonder, given the fact that the bicep is the primary supinator of the arm.
This fifth and final technique can be applied on the exercise from tip #4 - Alternate dumbbell curls.
The individual plan is the best plan
Yes, these are great techniques to implement to get bigger biceps.
However, having something tailored to your body type and individualities, is the best things to apply the techniques with.
Take our Sueprhuman QUIZ to find out more about your current levels of fitness and what to do next!
I’m Troy and I’m the creator of SuperHuman You and Co-Founder of Alpha Lion.
I created SuperHuman You to give you access to the most cutting edge information so you can reach your body goals as fast as humanly possible.
I’ve been obsessed with training since 2005 when I attended IMG Academy and got to train alongside NBA, NFL and Olympic Gold Medal winning athletes.
Now I’m on a mission to transform as many lives as possible and I’m so excited you found us!
I’ve been fortunate enough to train alongside and pick the brain of some of the best pro athletes, bodybuilders and trainers in the world – and this site represents over 15+ years of insights from the world’s best.
Want more gains? Here are a few suggested actions:
Head over to the world’s largest exercise database for a wide variety of unique exercises for every muscle group
Visit our Youtube Channel where you can watch Balloon Method™ workouts for Every Muscle Group.
Check out Alpha Lion so you can learn more about 1 of the fastest growing fitness lifestyle companies in the world and stack up on the best science-backed supplements.
References [ + ]